Stichting Donorkind is the Dutch initiative for donor conceived in the Netherlands. Volunteers are mostly donor conceived and donor’s (there are also some parents and partners of donor conceived).
- aims to collect and share information with media, researchers and policy-makers in order to secure the needs of donorconceived and if possible those of donors and parents.
- organizes meetings for donor conceived.
- Informs parents who consider or raise a donor conceived child.
- Keeps contacts and lobby with different organizations; Ministry of Health, Stichting Donorgegevens, FIOM, and several organizations for parents.
Goals of Stichting Donorkind are:
- All people are able to know their biological family.
- All parents and donor conceived will talk about the way of conceiving on an early age en will keep discussing this.
- All donor conceived can be open about their origin to everyone.
In the current legal situation there are some demands to reach these goals:
- Registration in the DNA databank should not cost anything, this should be payed by the clinics.
- Clinics or the Ministry of Health should organize an active campaign to reach old donors to ask them to register in the DNA databank.
- All children should have a birth-certificate which is both biological and social accurate. Also medical dossiers should state the donor.
- Preferably it would be mandatory for parents to tell their children about their origin.
- Family law should state clear rights and responsibilities for all biological and social parents. And also families who conceived abroad would have to follow these laws.